God’s Approval: Naughty or Nice
Many of us have been raised to aim for the approval of others, whether it be a school teacher or Santa Claus. However, when it comes to our personal relationship with God, do we strive to please Him? Ephesians 4:30 warns us not to grieve the Holy Spirit of God but rather seek to please Him. Although we may fall short and make mistakes, we can always repent and ask God for guidance. Proverbs 6:16 provides a list of seven things that God despises, reminding us to live in a way that honors Him.
These six things the LORD hates
Indeed, seven are repulsive to Him:
A proud look [the attitude that makes one overestimate oneself and discount others], a lying tongue,And hands that shed innocent blood,A heart that creates wicked plans,Feet that run swiftly to evilA false witness who breathes out lies [even half-truths],And one who spreads discord (rumors) among brothers.
Seven Things God Hates: A Biblical Perspective
- A Proud Look: Since Christ’s death and resurrection, anyone can be redeemed by believing in what He has done. We must go to the Cross to find Salvation, and there is no room for boasting. Although some people derive their strength from material possessions, God desires that we find our strength in Him (Christ). If you are like me who takes pride with the acquired skills or have a proud perspective about something, please leave a comment below.
- A Lying Tongue: In the New Testament dispensation, we are all created to praise God. However, we all lie and sometimes misrepresent the Word of God. The Word of God is the Ultimate truth, and every situation and circumstance should be viewed through the lens of the scriptures. We have Christ, who has never lied, and the Holy Spirit, who is forming and shaping us like Christ. The Holy Spirit is the author and the best interpreter of the text. If you are like me who struggles to walk in the truth or speaking things contrary to the scriptures, leave a comment below.
- Hands That Shed Innocent Blood: Because of what Christ did on the cross – how he shed innocent blood – we don’t have to be a part of a generational curse. By believing in the blood of Christ, we can experience redemption. His innocent hands were nailed so we can experience healing.
- A Heart That Creates Wicked Plans: Many of us struggle with divided hearts, lacking time for God and leading spiritually bankrupt lives. God wants single-minded devotion to Him. Do you have a relationship with God where you know your sins have been forgiven? Think about it.
- Feet That Run Swiftly to Evil: When we face challenges and hardships, we often run to familiar sins that provide temporary relief from reality. These are idols – things we use instead of depending on God. We are quick to run after fleshly things that hinder our relationship with God. What are some sins that hinder your relationship with God? Isaiah 52:7 describes the feet of those who share the Gospel, who are bearers of good news and peace.
- A False Witness That Breaths Out Lies: Saying that “all religions lead to the same road” is a false witness. A true witness sees life from the perspective of Christ’s death and resurrection and lives it out. Anything else is a false witness that breathes out lies.
- One Who Spreads Discord Among Brothers: The Gospel of Christ unites people, but many of us are politically divided and continue to spread discord. God is reuniting people who believe in what Christ did on the cross. As we recognize that Christ is the baptizer of the Holy Spirit, we can function together in togetherness, as the disciples did in the book of Acts.
My intention behind this article is that we all would draw closer to God. Some of us need to repent of our actions and behaviors to experience the presence of God daily in our lives.